I Am Not Sad, I Am Not Sick is now available as a PDF for digital download.
"I Am Not Sad, I Am Not Sick: An Autobio Zine" debuted at Twin Cities Zinefest 2013. It is a 15-page black-and-white zine based on mental and emotional struggles of the author.
Here it is on tumblr. It’s $3 (or pay-what-you-want on Gumroad!). I’ve cleaned it up quite a bit and added grey tones to give the drawings a bit more depth. It’s a very personal piece and I hope you’ll consider picking it up.
This zine does include references to self-harm and suicidal ideation.
Thanks for supporting me!
SCIENCE IS MY NERF DART LAUNCHER, INTELLECT IS MY BUTTERKNIFE
IM GOING TO LAUGH AT THIS FOR 847389274 YEARS OMFG
1. White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US? Other terrorists are called, like, “terrorists.”
2. White terrorists are “troubled loners.” Other terrorists are always suspected of being part of a global plot, even when they are obviously troubled loners.
3. Doing a study on the danger of white terrorists at the Department of Homeland Security will get you sidelined by angry white Congressmen. Doing studies on other kinds of terrorists is a guaranteed promotion.
4. The family of a white terrorist is interviewed, weeping as they wonder where he went wrong. The families of other terrorists are almost never interviewed.
5. White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.
6. White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.
7. White terrorists are never called “white.” But other terrorists are given ethnic affiliations.
8. Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies.
9. White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.
10. There is nothing you can do about white terrorists. Gun control won’t stop them. No policy you could make, no government program, could possibly have an impact on them. But hundreds of billions of dollars must be spent on police and on the Department of Defense, and on TSA, which must virtually strip search 60 million people a year, to deal with other terrorists."
Juan Cole, 08/09/2012
Juan Cole actually wrote this 4 days after a white terrorist, yes, terrorist, murdered 6 and injured 4 people at a Sikh gurdwara in Wisconsin. The terrorist who committed said crime spoke of an impending “racial holy war” beforehand and was a member of white supremacist/neo-Nazi hate groups.